General Communication Principle
The Site does not provide students with any means to communicate directly with each other or adult mentors. There are no chat rooms connected with the learning resources. At all times, students are engaged in meaningful educative activity within a secure environment.
What personal information we collect
- In order to register for SOLAR resources, teachers, parents or other group leaders (Organisation Heads) registering for their class or school must give their consent at the time of registration to provide us with their own name, school name and their email address. In addition, teachers must consent for their students to participate at the time of registration and provide us with the names of their students, their year group and their UPN.
- Organisation Heads who do not give this consent when registering cannot provide us with their personal information or the names of the students and cannot use the Site.
- We require this information in order to correctly identify each user, manage their account and for certain other purposes detailed below.
What we will do with your information
The information collected from users is used for the following purposes:
- to send a confirmation notice to the Organisation Head of the registration;
- upon the Organisation Head’s request, to reset a password for a lost or forgotten password;
- to respond to any questions, concerns or problems raised by the Organisation Head;
- to contact the Organisation Head about any problems with the Organisation Head’s account or conduct on the Site;
- to send out a SOLAR or other newsletter(s) or emails about the Site;
- to publish the names of winners and high performers on the Site or in the SOLAR or other newsletter(s), blogs and to provide all the results data for each Organisation Head
- to send prizes and data for participation and performance on the Site.
We use the SOLAR and other newsletter(s) or emails to notify our users of all the current events, changes, improvements, upgrades, rules, and so on, of the Site. In addition, we may notify Organisation Head’s of new products and services that SOLAR has designed and made available to their organisation. In all communications, Organisation Head’s may opt out at any time by following the specific opt out instructions within the communications that we send.
What we will not do with your personal information
SOLAR will keep your personal information confidential and not sell or knowingly divulge your information to advertisers or any external third parties, unless:
- we are required to share your information with a third party in order to comply with law or to comply with a court order or subpoena;
- to enforce our website or event rules; or
- to protect the safety and security of our users and our Site.
Generally we will only use your information within SOLAR. However, sometimes we provide data on results to government education departments, peak bodies managing or representing schools, or schools themselves. We will require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and we will require that they do not have access to your personal information and not use the data for commercial purposes.
How we process your information
Our use of the personal information we collect is necessary in order for us to maintain the Site and facilitate an organisation’s use of the Site. We do not collect any unnecessary personal data from participants (for instance, their race or religious beliefs).
How long we hold your information
We will keep any personal information we collect from organisations for as long as they are registered users of the Site. If an organisation cancels their registration or it otherwise lapses after 3 years of not using the Site, we will only keep their personal information for the purposes of sending the organisation information regarding SOLAR’s other products and services if they agree to receive this information. Personal information is otherwise deleted or destroyed.
Keeping your personal information accurate
The personal information we hold about organisations, mentors or participants (such as their name, address and school) is kept so that we may correctly identify that user. Users can update their personal information at any time via their dashboard on the Site.
Keeping your personal information secure
SOLAR is committed to information security. We will use all reasonable endeavours to keep user’s personal information in a secure environment. For instance, each user’s personal information is encrypted whilst being sent to our server at the time of registration. However, security cannot be guaranteed due to the nature of the internet.
SOLAR’s security measures are designed to assist in users’ personal information not being accessed by unauthorised personnel, lost or misused. If you reasonably believe that there has been an unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information please let us know by contacting us via the contact form – marking your subject as urgent.
In addition to personal information and results data, SOLAR also collects anonymous information about users and the activities of said users on the Site. Anonymous information is information that is not linked to the name of a user. This information is used to assist us in enhancing the learning resources and the information remains anonymous at all times.
When agreeing to the Site Terms and Conditions, Organisation Head’s grant SOLAR the right to use this anonymous information for its own purposes, such as the preparation of statistical reports, provided SOLAR otherwise complies with its obligations in respect of the use of personal information.
How can parents access, change or delete personally identifiable information about their child?
Users have a right to get a copy from us of the personal information we hold about them. If you wish to receive a copy of this information, please contact us via the contact form. We will deal with your request promptly and in any case at least within 45 days of the date of receiving it. We will correct or delete inaccurate or incomplete personal information we hold about you at your request.
Public Displays of Names
SOLAR strives to provide highly engaging websites for students. Given students have indicated their strong preference for their name to be shown publicly, in recognition of their achievements, we allow this – but we do not allow full names (ie First Name and Surname) to be shown publicly, only within the logged-in framework of the Site.
Other cookies may be stored to your computers hard drive when this website uses referral programs, sponsored links or adverts – which is extremely rare. Such cookies typically expire after 30 days, though some may take longer. No personal information is stored, saved or collected without your consent.
Special Notice To Parents
SOLAR has no intention of seeking personal information about children and young people who visit our Web Sites. If such information is collected, this Privacy Statement will apply to that information. In addition, if we can identify a user as a child or young person, the personal information will not be used for further marketing and promotion unless the child or young person’s parent or carer has consented. We encourage you to ask your children to seek your permission before providing information about themselves or their family over the Internet.
Special Notice To Children
Be sure to ask your parent or carer for permission before you send any personal information over the Internet, including to our Web Sites.